McIlroy coming to play the Travelers Championship
The Travelers Championship announced Friday morning that Rory McIlroy, the world’s third-ranked golfer, will be playing in the Travelers Championship in June.
The news was first reported by Brian Wacker from Golf Digest early this morning.
This is the first time McIlroy, 27, will play in the Travelers. He has won four major championships, including two PGA Championships.
“I’m delighted that the Travelers Championship is part of my schedule this year. It’ll be such a great experience,” McIlroy said in a statement released by the Travelers. “The course should really set up well for my game and I’m really looking forward to teeing it up there in June against some of the tour’s best players.
Travelers Championship tournament director Nathan Grube said the first time he had an inkling that McIlory may be interested in coming was last spring at the Players Championship.
I’m incredibly excited,” Grube said. “We’ve been talking to (McIlroy’s agent) enough the last six, seven, eight months. Going back to June gave us a chance (to get him). We’re thrilled to see it come together.”
The Travelers was held in August last year when the entire PGA Tour summer schedule was altered due to the 2016 Summer Olympics. This year's tournament will be held
McIlroy is currently recuperating from a rib fracture he suffered in January. He is scheduled to return at next week’s WGC-Mexico Championship.