Blogs > Morelli's Musings

Golf coverage

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Smith, Conroy reach Amateur final

By Joe Morelli, Register Staff

jmorelli@nhregister.com / Twitter: @nhrJoeMorelli

ORANGE — Matt Smith has never forgotten how last year’s final match in the Connecticut Amateur Championship went. How could he?

He led former champion Tommy McDonagh 3-up with 11 holes to play, only to have McDonagh come back to win 3 and 2 at Rolling Hills Country Club.

So the motivation is there for Smith, a member at Quinnatisset CC in Thompson. He won both of his matches Thursday to reach his second straight final, this time against Ben Conroy at Race Brook CC in the 110th edition of the State Amateur.
“It (last year) has been on my mind as I prepared for this tournament,” said Smith, 22, a Thompson resident. “I know I can’t get ahead of myself. If I do, I will lose like I did last year.”

READ ON FOR MORE ON THE QUARTERFINAL AND SEMIFINAL-ROUND AMATEUR RESULTS

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home